Two Tough Losses for the Lady Eagles

The varsity Lady Eagles lost a tough one to Kickapoo tonight 3-2 right at the end of the first overtime.  The Lady Eagles came out fired up against their district foes and had some good chances early. Nixa would get on the board first midway through the first half off of a set play from about 40 yards out that found its way through the Kickapoo defense to Rachel Murphy’s foot who’s low shot to the far corner found the net.  Kickapoo would answer a few seconds later when they took the kickoff down and scored off of a nice initial save from Kristin Miller but the follow up shot tied the score at 1 which would be the halftime score.

Kickapoo had the wind the second half and put a lot of pressure on the Eagle defense.  Kickapoo would take the lead about 10 minutes into the half when a Nixa player was called for a hand ball in the box.  Kickapoo converted the penalty kick to go up 2-1.  The Lady Eagles fought hard and their effort paid off with 8 minutes to go in the game Shelby Zielke sent a cross into the box which found Courtney Frerichs racing to goal and touching the ball past the oncoming keeper to tie the game at 2.

In the first overtime the Lady Chiefs continued to attack.  They had many free kicks and corner kicks in the Eagles end.  With about 8 minutes gone in the first overtime the Lady Eagles transitioned down the right side of the field and Kelsey Bartell’s shot sailed just over the vacated goal.  Kickapoo went the other way and earned a corner kick.  The Chiefs had just missed ending the game a few minutes earlier when the corner hit the crossbar.  This time McKenna Adams put the ball on goal and it sailed into the far corner of the net untouched for the game winner.   One of the positives about this game was at the end the Ladies Eagles were upset they lost, they weren’t just happy with being in the game and taking Kickapoo to overtime.   It is the best the program has ever done against Kickapoo but we aren’t satisfied.

The JV lost a hearbreaker to Kickapoo 1-0.   The lone goal was scored late in the first half off of a controversial call which gave the Lady Chiefs a penalty kick which the Chiefs converted.   The Lady Eagles suffered their first defeat of the year and their first goal against.  They played well but still need to possess the ball better as a team.  They learned a lot from tonight’s game and will continue to improve.

The Lady Eagles need to bounce back quickly because we go to Willard to play our second conference game tomorrow.  The Lady Tigers are always tough and ready to play us.